Thursday, February 19, 2015

Being Available

It is thursday afternoon here in Peru and we have our midweek church service on Thursday nights.  We are currently looking at the life of Elijah and tonight specifically at the calling of Elisha.  Elisha is such a great example for the Christian as one who responds to the calling of God.  He made himself available to do what ever it is that God asked.  As I was reviewing my notes my wife got a phone call and was for the next hour and twenty minutes counseling a woman from our church.  I was so blessed that my wife took the time (which she should have) to minister to this dear saint.  It was right during lunch and after lunch there is always a crunch to get the homeschooling done so she can prepare dinner in time for the kids to eat before we head to church.  Keep in mind that my wife and homeschooling are  arch rivals.  It is not something she enjoys or really even wants to do, but this is where the Lord has placed her and she is answering the call of the Lord like Elisha.  I listened in to her counsel and was so impressed by her wisdom and godly advice that she gave.  I know it was hard for her and she was out of her comfort zone and it was a very challenging time of the day for her.  I am not trying to brag on her or say look at how great my wife is (even though she truly is),  my point is she was such an example to me that no matter what is going on I need to be available to be used by the Lord to minister to whoever needs it whenever the time comes.   I can get so caught up in my own little world that I forget what is happening around me.  Yet that is not what the Christian life is.  When we look at Jesus, He wasn't so caught up in His own little world that he neglected the needs of the people.  He actually left His little world, heaven, and came to earth to serve and not to be served.  Lord help me be more like Jesus.  Conform me to His image that I may shine His love in this world.  Forgive me for my selfishness and my sinful desires.  Let me see Jesus more clearly and thank you for the example of Elisha who left all to do your will and thank you so much for my wife and her example of being available and allowing you to use her so you could strengthen one of your daughters.

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful glimpse into your life - what an admirable and glorious example! Oh how I love our Lord and how He uses us - and how being out of our comfort zone makes us seek our comfort in Him, and serving :D I love you both !! you are greatly blessed :)

    ReplyDelete