Wednesday, January 28, 2015

We are justified by faith!

On sunday mornings I am preaching through the book of Galatians.  It has been a great time for me personally.  Studying and preparing sermons from this wonderful book has brought such a renewed passion to serve Jesus.  Before our time in the States I had preached through the first two chapters and last week was my first sunday back in the pulpit.  I did an overview and a refresher of where we have been and where we are going.  This sunday we will dive into chapter three and look at verses 1-5.  As I have been studying, so many of the commentaries have brought up the new perspective on Paul.  I haven't even touched that in my exposition and I don't plan to.  I haven't even really read much on it because I am still trying to come to terms with the old perspective on Paul.  The doctrine of justification by faith alone is such an amazing doctrine it is almost impossible to believe!  It is so inherent in us to try to do something for God that pleases Him so that we are able to take a little credit.  I always have to catch myself and search my motives, "Why am I doing this?"  Sometimes I think if I work harder or do more good Christian works, I am somehow securing my standing with God.  The fact of the matter is, my standing is secure with God based upon my faith in Christ and what He has done.  It has nothing to do with me.  I always feel this little bit of legalism creeping in or this works based righteousness crouching at the door.  Luther said this is the most important doctrine so it is imperative to know this article well, teach it to others and beat it into their heads continually!  I love that.  I need to beat it into my head continually.  When we understand that there is not one ounce of effort we can pour into the merits of our standing before God, this frees us up from trying to please God for our salvation and instead free us to live for Him with love and joy.  No longer do I have to worry if I have tipped the scales in my favor, I can just live the life He has called me to by the power of the Spirit and when I have my days where I fail, I know that I am still justified because my justification is based on the life, death and resurrection of Christ!  I don't have to wake up in the morning and stress to undo what I did and throw more good works on the scale.  I get up and thank Jesus for His grace and carry on being a Christian saved by grace through faith in Christ!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Ryan! And that makes the joy of doing good works (the evidence of our faith) that much more glorious when we understand that they are not for merit, but for the pleasure and praise of our God.

    ReplyDelete