Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Praying for our brothers and sisters who are being persecuted for the gospel

I am sitting here in my nice comfy chair, in my nice private office inside my home while preparing my sermon for sunday morning.  Scanning over the news I see an article about the 200 or so Assyrian Christians who are being held by Isis and threatened and asked to convert to Islam.  They all boldly denied and professed faith in Jesus.  I thank God that I serve in a country where we can meet publicly and preach openly the good news of Jesus Christ.  At the same time my heart breaks for our brothers and sisters throughout the world who are suffering for the sake of Christ.  Here I am studying, in what I consider a beautiful environment, in comfort, surrounded by my books and a computer and internet and   I am not thinking about anyone coming into my home and taking my wife and kids or threading us to deny Christ.  Yet all over the world most Christians don't have it this nice.  In Hebrews we are told "Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body" (Hebrews 13:3 ESV). How often do we take this charge seriously? I know I was convicted this morning, not by the fact that God has placed me where He has placed me. There are lost souls right here who need to know Christ as much as in other places in the world. I was convicted because how little time I spend on my knees interceding for other members of the family of God who are not as fortunate as me to live in a place of gospel freedom. For those who are loosing their lives for standing for Jesus. For those who are being persecuted and suffering for taking the name of Christ. These are the heroes of the faith. Lets pray that the Lord continues to strengthen our suffering family to continue to stand for Christ and that the Lord would be glorified and that through the boldness of the suffering, the persecutors will come to know the great salvation in Christ. Lord protect Your children and give them great boldness!

No comments:

Post a Comment