Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Works, Rewards, Value, Worth, Raiders, And Our Glorious Savior

"You are a sheep of his pasture.  Therefore you have everything you need."  Al Baker

For those who don't know, I love the Raiders.  I have loved the Raiders since I can remember.  growing up, Jim Plunkett was my favorite quarterback and Marcus Allen was untouchable.  I have seen the Raiders be very good and very bad and all though it is much more enjoyable to watch them when they are good, it doesn't really matter to me.  My kids are now Raiders fans.  We all enjoy sitting down and watching the games.  Last week was a bye week (no game), but this year has been great.  Not only are they doing very well at this point, but Derek Carr who is their starting quarterback is faithful follower of Jesus Christ.  I don't know everything about the guy, but he holds himself humbly and gives praise to the Lord.  After a game against a division rival I saw him gather players from both sides and take the center of the field and go to their knees and pray.  It was an encouraging thing to see.  After one game, my daughter asks me, "Is Carr going to stay loyal to the Raiders?"  She has learned a little about the mechanics of the system.  She was wondering when his contract is up and some other team comes and offers big money to him, will he stay?  I didn't have an answer for her concerning Derek Carr and the Raiders.  However, I did have an answer concerning how we as humans can sometimes view value and worth by what we get.  Society on a whole has really been set up as a works and rewards system.  Sports players think the multi million dollar contracts shows their value.  They say if a team wants my abilities, then they will pay me and I will feel they appreciate me.  When I was a field supervisor for a large construction company, they would do year end bonuses.  I remember talking with other guys and they would say how much they were given and I would, in my sinful flesh, say "what they don't appreciate me?  I got all the jobs that were losers from the start.  I would do my best and sometimes even make the company money.  Why don't they look at that aspect?"  The fact is, they did appreciate me and that is why I had a job and they even gave me a bonus.  It took a while for me to get that though.  See our society is set up that way from the beginning.  That is why so many times people have a hard time grasping the gospel.  Think what we tell our kids (well maybe you don't and I am just highlighting my bad parenting skills).  "If you do good in school, I will buy you an ice cream."  "Hey if you behave tonight at the so and so's, maybe I will get you a treat."  Do you see what is happening?  It is a works for rewards system.  We have ingrained our kids with that.  I myself have been ingrained with that.  The gospel says come and receive without price! That is a hard concept for some of us to understand.

Beyond that though, for those of us who do understand that, we can then fall back into thinking our value and our worth is by what we get or what we receive or by who pats us on the back.  And when we don't get stroked how we think we deserve our chins tilt up and our nostrils flare a little and we think we have been slighted and it is such an injustice.  Moments like that expose how ugly the remaining sin in our hearts is.  It shows us that we truly do not have a full enough grasp of what grace truly is.  Sitting here rehashing in my mind what has gone on in my life, my family, my ministry and looking forward to what will take place, I keep just getting overwhelmed by how gracious our God is.  Ministry can be hard.  Let me rephrase that, ministry is hard.  You are dealing with souls therefore you are dealing with people.  I know from my own heart, I am hard to deal with.  I am a sinner and I am messy and I have problems.  So I know when I minister to others, they are just like I am, broken and in need of mercy and grace.  The same mercy and grace that I have been given.  They are cut from the same society that is works for rewards.  So they have the same tendencies that I do.  People are people no matter what continent they are on.  And how arrogant is it to think that because you receive something, you are more valuable or that you even deserve to receive anything.  So materialistic items show value and worth?  Or spiritual gifting shows value and worth?  Would you tell a Somali who is dying from starvation that he is in that condition because he has no value?   I sure hope not.  But that is what we do on a more micro level.  Everything we have is of grace.  The issue is, so many times I think I know what I need.  I think I know what I deserve.  Jesus knows what I need.  Thank God I don't get what I deserve!  I  see people get bitter and angry because they think they deserve something or that they are not getting ministered to as they think they should be.  The Lord is sovereign and is working in each of our lives in the areas of our lives that are not in line with His character.  The Lord works differently in each person.  So many times we allow a root of ungodliness to form because Jesus hasn't done what we want Him to do.  Could you imagine walking up to Jesus and questioning what He is doing to His face?  Yet how many of us do that in our hearts?

I think of the story in Mark chapter two, the healing of the paralytic that was lowered through the roof.  Jesus says your sins are forgiven.  I imagine the guys who carried him going "whoa whoa whoa Lord!  That is not what we came here for!  That is not what we want.  We want this guy to walk!!!"  Lord, I don't want to go to Peru!  I don't want to go to Chile!  I don't want to downsize.  Lord I came to you so I could get this.  Lord why don't I have what they have.  I don't want this trial or this or that.  Lord why did you give me this!  Do you realize what the God has given you?  He has given you His Son!  What more do you need?  A spouse?  Money? Gifting? Power? Prestige? Recognition?  What is it that you need?  Are you going to get angry and bitter at God or someone else cause you didn't get what you think you need or deserve?  Are you unhappy and discontent with what God has given? Don't you think the Lord knows what we need?  Don't you think the Lord gives what we need and takes away what we don't?   Who are we to question what it is the Lord does?  He sees the big picture.  He is working the end game.  He is stripping away, molding, conforming and working in us His good pleasure.  Maybe the guys who lowered the paralytic through the roof were doing all that out of selfish reasons?  This is all speculation, the text doesn't tell us, but maybe they were tired of taking care of him.  Of carrying him to his spot to beg for money and food.  Maybe they were tired of rolling him over so he didn't get bed sores.  Maybe they just wanted him to walk so he could have life like them.  I don't know.  But how many times are we motivated to help or do ministry out of purely selfish motives.  I pray that I will never be selfish in my ministry.  I pray that I will never be bitter when the Lord does a great work in some other church planting ministry. I pray that I will not allow bitterness to swell in my heart when things don't go how I want them to go.  I pray that ungodliness will not take root in my soul.  It is easy to allow when you look around and you see things or you hear things.  Who am I to ask why don't I have a huge ministry and a radio program and books being published?  Lord aren't I doing your work?  To be honest, when I see one person show up at the church I pastor, I am blown away!  Thanks for coming back wow!  Do I even deserve to be able to speak forth God's word, of course not, that is all of grace.  But see, I could think that I am not valued or worth anything cause I don't get the rewards that I think I should.  That is an ugly place to be.  Another missionary from our sending church is here on furlough.  It was great seeing him and talking with him.  But I could have gotten bitter because he is on furlough when I am or whatever.  He is taking some of the focus that should be mine!!!  I could get angry because he got to speak at some gathering that I wanted to or whatever.  Oh my, that would be the ugliest heart.  That makes me nauseous to think that people are actually think like that.  Who are we but dust!  But isn't wonderful the Lord is in the business of changing hearts.  My heart still needs a lot of work.  Praise Jesus we have that promise in Philippians, "He who started a good work in you will bring it to completion on the day of Christ Jesus."  He is doing it.  There will be rewards.  It will be seeing Jesus face to face.  It is conforming to His image.  Yes we work out our salvation.  We put to death the flesh.  We kill these areas that we see that our so ugly.  We chop down the trees and pull the roots of ungodliness and selfishness and bitterness and the list goes on.

So anyways, off my rant and back to Carr and his contract, I told my daughter he might if the money is right.  He has to think about his family and his career.  I don't want to see him go, but that is the nature of the game nowadays.  Then I told her that even if the Raiders don't pay him what another team might, that doesn't mean the Raiders don't appreciate him.  It doesn't mean he doesn't hold value to the team.  And at this point in the conversation I can transition into a meaningful and life impacting speech.  I begin talking on the sovereignty of God and that God has ordained what will happen in Carr's life from beginning to end.  If God so wants Carr to sign a multi million contract with some other team then that is the way it is.  Hopefully Carr will use his talents and leadership to lead people to Christ.  It is more important to lead souls for eternity than to lead a team to a superbowl.  What we have to understand though, is that his worth and his value is not in his paycheck or accolades but in the blood that Christ shed on his behalf.  Then I said, your worth and value is not based on what life deals you, but your worth and value is in how much Christ loves you that He came and lived the life you couldn't, took the death that you deserved, taking all you sin and giving all His perfection and He rose from the grave granting forgiveness and giving life.  Don't you ever question your value or your worth because maybe you didn't get the big contract.  That is slapping our precious Lord in the face.  You are a child of the King.  Your worth and value and identity is in Him.  He has done the work and He is the reward.  I want you to do good in school.  I want you to help with the other crazy bambinos.  I want you to do good in your music, art and magic tricks.  I kind of demand it because you are my daughter.  I will help you, I will do all I can to see you succeed.  And see that is what Jesus does in a much greater way.  He wants you to enjoy the blessings of fellowship with Him.  To work hard at school.  To give it your all.  He gives the power to help.  You are His now.  Just like you carry my name, Petrik.  You carry His.  Just like you have mannerism's and quarks that I have.  You have His Spirit.  How amazing.  How gracious.  How merciful.

I am hoping Carr sticks around.  He has brought a level of excitement to the Raiders I haven't seen in years.  But more importantly.  I hope my heart stays pure and I don't allow the flesh to rule my thoughts and desires.  I want to serve Christ out of pure love for Him.  I want to have clean hands and a pure heart.   Most importantly, I hope my daughter finds all her value and worth in Jesus Christ and not in what she may or may not receive from this world.  I hope she will understand grace in a way that will motivate her to share the same grace of Christ with everyone who comes across her path!    

1 comment:

  1. Amen Ryan! If you want to be somebody in the kingdom of God, you first have to be a nobody!

    Raiders... Plunket. I remember he always looked like his head was ready to explode in his helmet! Ha!

    Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete