Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Seeing Christ

Lately I have been working my way through The Death of Christ by James Denney.  I have had this book for quit some time and I will read a few chapters and set it down and then pick it up again and read some more.  It is a book that, at least for me, that I can not just power through.  It has a level of richness that I need to savor.  Going through it always brings me to reflect on Christ and the glories of the cross.

This is one of the books that transformed Martyn Lloyd Jones's preaching ministry.  After a message a man told him his message had very little Christ in it and Lloyd Jones went home and locked himself in a room and read this book and the Atonement by R. W. Dale.  These books transformed his ministry.  As I preach week after week, I do not want to have a conversation that I preach very little Christ.  I know that I have room to grow and I will always need to improve, but even now I must be sure to preach Christ.  Jesus said that the Scriptures testify of me (John 5:39).  Whatever portion of Scripture we come to, the focus must always be Christ. Spurgeon said "Whatever subject I preach, I do not stop until I reach the Savior. That is my goal.  As I pray and prepare each message I want to bring people to see Christ (John 12:21).

To see Christ, that is the gospel.  "Behold your God."  This is only possible through the cross.  Praise Him for His grace.

Soli deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment