Thursday, August 16, 2012

My plans or His


"It has always been my aim, and it is my prayer, to have no plans with regard to myself, well assured as I am, that the place where the Saviour sees meet to place me must ever be the best place for me."  Robert Murray McCheyne

M'Cheyne isn't saying that he doesn't plan or that to plan is sin.  What M'Cheyene is saying is as far as mapping out what I will accomplish, I recognize the most important thing is not my plans but God’s plans. So when ever I make plans I am aware that I do not know what a day may bring forth. So no plans that I make, can I make them in such a way that I hold to them so tightly, with both hands, so if the Father says I am taking that, I will not be able to release them into his hands with great joy and confidence that He means to bless me in it.

There is that saying 'bloom where you are planted'.  Now more than other I am beginning to understand what that means.  I always thought that saying was a trivial phrase.  Never thought it carried any weight, just something to throw out there when you got nothing to say.  Lately though I am seeing that right where God has you is right where He wants you.  It might only be for a minute, but for some it could mean eternity.  There is nothing wrong with planning for the future.  James tells us to say "If the Lord wills" should be our planning.  We can get so caught up on the "big picture" that we miss what is going on right in front of us.  


If we get to attached to what we are planning, to what we are trying to accomplish, when the Lord plucks us up and moves us on, our hearts may become bitter.  Trust in the Lord and lean not on your understanding.  God means to bless us.  Make plans, but make your plans as M'Cheyene said "to have no plans with regard to myself".  If God chooses to uproot you, go with a joyful and willing heart.  In the place God has planted you, give it your all because that is where the Savior has placed you and it is the best place for you.

1 comment: